Sunday, October 22, 2006

Chicago Marathon!

So here's the post you've all been waiting for! The marathon recap...

A final check of weather this morning convinced me to do layers, which was a good choice! I packed up my bag and got on the 5:40am train downtown. Why do races have to be so crazy early in the morning?? The train ride was a lot of fun as it was all runners eating their powerbars, drinking their gatorade, pinning their numbers on, and talking about running!

I made it down to grant park with plenty of time and waited around for my friend Zack. I never saw him, so just checked my gear and lined up between the 4:30 and 4:45 signs. That was a good move as you'll soon discover. The race started and I was across the starting line in a little over 7 minutes which I thought was pretty awesome. I was expecting like a 20 minute wait. All went well with the run itself and I was really feeling good pretty much the whole time. No cramps, no sharp pains or anything...about as good as you could expect.

The course itself was good, except for a crazy blast of wind on Addison and heading out to the United Center. It was great to see all of the neighborhoods and people lining the street cheering!

Around mile 18 I started feeling the distance a bit, but after a quick gel break I was feeling great again! My parents came down to Chinatown and it was a good boost to see them!

The final mile was just so awesome, running up Michigan, over Roosevelt, and down into grant park. It just felt so great to make it to that finish line. And my final time...4:43:17

So yes, in case anyone was still in doubt, I'm hooked on this Marathon thing now :)

6 Comments:

Blogger MNFirefly said...

Congrads, Frank! You did awesome!!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Theoutofshapeguy said...

Great job buddy

11:27 PM  
Blogger Full Metal Lunchbox said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Full Metal Lunchbox said...

4:43 WOO HOO!!!  Way to go Frank!!!!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

Thanks everyone!! It was such an awesome race!

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home